background

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Total Obedience (deeds of David day 4)


Wow, I am so sorry for not blogging in so long. We were out of town a couple days and then have been having computer trouble a while now. I have a back-log of Bible Times to be blogged so I will do my best to get them up.

In 1 Samuel 15 we learn of another time that Saul did not obey God. God instructed King Saul to completely destroy King Amalek and everything in his land. God told Israel he would give them the victory, but they must not take anything as spoils. After Israel defeated the enemy, a disappointed Samuel confronted Saul. Saul claimed he did obey, but only kept some of the animals "to sacrifice to God." Samuel relays God's message that because of his disobedience, the throne would someday be taken away from him.

To emphasize the importance of total obedience we played the classic "mother-may-I" game. I gave each kiddo instructions like take three forward hops, skip 2 steps, spin 4 times, etc. They had to ask "mother may I" before they began the action. If they forgot to ask permission, they went back to the beginning. The first person to reach me got to be the "mother" next game.

The point: "To obey is better than sacrifice." God is not impressed with our "bright ideas" to do for him... he is pleased with our total obedience to him.

No comments: