background

Friday, June 29, 2012

Eating the grass (Daniel's Days 4)

Daniel chapter 4 has another surreal story. (I just noticed I posted these out of chronological order, sorry.) Anyway, King Nebuchadnezzar has a crazy dream in chapter four and is again perplexed. After other wise men of Babylon fail to interpret his dream, Daniel hears it and is
saddened by the meaning of the dream. He tells the King what the dream from God means and ends with a warning "your kingdom will be given back to you when you learn that one in heaven rules your kingdom" (Daniel 4:26b) Twelve months later King Nebuchadnezzar is having a proud moment, "I have built this great Babylon as my royal home. I built it by my power to show my glory and my majesty." Nebuchadnezzar's dream immediately comes true. He begins eating grass like an ox, his hair grows long, and his nails grow like claws. The Bible tells us that eventually Nebuchadnezzar "looked up toward Heaven" and praised the most high God. His mind and his kingdom are restored.

We placed small pieces of clear tape on the kids' fingernails to make them "claws." Then we took a cucumber and used a vegetable peeler to make strips of "grass." You could use celery, spaghetti, or anything else you have around. Then we went outside and acted out the story. The kiddos enjoyed eating their afternoon snack like a cow :)

THE POINT? God resists the proud and gives grace to the humble

No comments: